Jonathan

I was never under pressure to contest 2023 Presidency – Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday said there was no truth in reports that he was under pressure to contest the 2023 presidential election. An online platform had reported that Jonathan said he was under immense pressure to contest the Presidency in 2023 and that he had been promised the presidential ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party, should he decide to contest. The online media had also quoted Jonathan as saying that some highly placed individuals had been piling pressure on him to consider the job following the alleged failure of the regime of the current President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.). But Jonathan’s spokesman, Dr Ikechukwu Eze, in an [Read]

BREAKING: Soldier, Three Others killed as Gunmen Attack ex-President Jonathan’s Residence

BAYELSA – Fresh report reaching NEWS FLAKES NG at PRESS TIME has it that unknown armed men have attacked the home of former President Goodluck Jonathan in Otuoke, Bayelsa State. Sources in Otuoke, Bayelsa State said the gunmen, who struck at about 3am, killed one soldier, injured one while another one was taken away to unknown destination. Consequently, all roads in Otuoke/Otuaba is currently blocked by military personnel, with movement of residents restricted. Eyewitness say the gunmen launched the attack with a dynamite being thrown into Jonathan’s residence and it blew off the roof of a small cottage building inside the residence. Two soldiers stationed behind the house confronted the [Read]

BREAKING: Jonathan becomes first African leader to win Martin Luther King human rights award

Former President Goodluck Jonathan was awarded in the US on Thursday for his leadership in human rights in Africa’s most populous nation, Nigeria. Jonathan, who was awarded in recognition of his leadership in “human rights, social justice and universal fight for freedom”, becomes the first African leader to be so honoured. The presidential award was presented by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, founded by the late American human rights activist, Martin Luther King Jr, best known for his human rights struggles and the I-have-a-dream speech. In statement on Friday, the former president expressed his pleasure in being so honoured and also meeting the sister of the famous human rights activist. [Read]

Jonathan Accuses Politicians Of Replacing Military Coups With Political Coups

  Former President Goodluck Jonathan has accused African politicians of systematically replacing military coups with political coups. Speaking at Okada, Edo State after being conferred with an honourary doctorate degree of Science at the 17th convocation ceremony of the Igbinedion University, Jonathan said; “Only yesterday in one African country, we were discussing the politics of our continent. “Most of us were former Heads of State, presidents, former presidents and vice presidents. The way African politics is going, we are replacing military coups with civilian coups and that cannot sustain the continent.” Speaking on behalf of other awardees, Jonathan said, “Let me plead with my fellow politicians, they should stop killing [Read]

Jonathan tackles Lamido, denies trading off Bayelsa to APC

  Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday said he did not trade off Bayelsa State to the All Progressives Congress. He stated that the allegations by a former Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, that he traded off Bayelsa State was incorrect and a blackmail. Jonathan spoke via a statement by his Media Adviser, Mr Ikechukwu Eze. Eze said it was not only in Bayelsa State that the country had experienced such a situation where Peoples Democratic Party or even the All Progressives Congress had lost elections to another party. He stated that holding Jonathan responsible for the PDP’s loss in Bayelsa without first investigating the issues that determined the [Read]

Jonathan Keeps Silent After Meeting With Buhari

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday declined to comment on the outcome of his meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. News Agency of Nigeria reports that the agenda of the meeting between President Buhari and Jonathan, which lasted for about 15 minutes, was unknown to newsmen. The former president, who was escorted to his car by the State Chief of Protocol, Amb. Lawal Kazaure only answered greetings from State House correspondents and other staff. NAN observed that the former president visited the Presidential Villa for the fifth time as he was last seen in the State House in 2016. NAN reports that President Buhari had earlier today [Read]

You Lied Against Me About Chibok Schoolgirls, All because I signed Anti-gay law – Jonathan fires back at Cameron

Former President Goodluck Jonathan says ex-Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, is against him because he signed the Ant-Same sex Marriage Bill into law. Jonathan said this while reacting to claims by Cameron that he (Jonathan) prevented UK troops from rescuing some of the 276 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram from Chibok, Borno State. Cameron, in his recently published memoir titled, ‘For the Record’, had claimed that a team of UK soldiers had located some of the Chibok girls but “Nigeria’s President, Goodluck Jonathan, seemed to be asleep at the wheel. When he eventually made a statement, it was to accuse the campaigners of politicising the tragedy. And [Read]

‘We located some Chibok schoolgirls but Jonathan didn’t allow us rescue them’ – fmr UK PM, David Cameron

LONDON – David Cameron, former British prime minister, has alleged that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan did not give enough support to Britain during the abduction of 274 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno state. The abduction, which took place on April 14 2014, had sparked a global outrage following which the international community offered to assist Nigeria. In For The Record, his memoir, Cameron, who was in office at the time of the incident, said British troops traced the location of some of the victims and offered to help but Jonathan refused. “Iraq wasn’t the only place we would need our military to counter this extremist menace. Boko Haram in Nigeria was linked [Read]

Sowore: Stop writing about what he did against me, pray for him – Jonathan tells Omokri, Others

Ex President Goodluck Jonathan has called for intensified prayer for the detained activist, Omoyele Sowore, who is set to be arraigned by the Department of State Security on Tuesday. His adviser on media, Reno Omokri revealed this on Sunday via his Twitter account. He tweeted, “I just spoke to former President Jonathan and urged him to read my column in today’s Thisday, titled ‘Sowore and Buhari: A Bromance Gone Sour!’ [READ ALSO] Enjoy Your Buhari – Reno Omokri Blasts Sowore For Supporting Him In 2015 He paused for a while, then responded, ‘Reno, instead of writing about what he did against me, I prefer that you pray for the young man. [Read]

Enjoy Your Buhari – Reno Omokri Blasts Sowore For Supporting Him In 2015

Aide to the former President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri has blasted the presidential candidate of AAC and human right activist, Omoyele Sowore for supporting and campaigning for President Muhammadu Buhari during 2015 election. Sowore, a founder of Sahara reporters who was in detention since July this year. Reno Omokri said, Sowore is not some innocent activist that General Buhari is persecuting. He was an ally of Buhari, who sold him to Nigeria. We must not rewrite history or will repeat it. READ HIS TWEETS: If you say Omoyele Sowore is a liar, I will agree. He tells deliberate lies to destroy the reputation of those he‘s against, using his Sahara [Read]

$9.6m judgement: Buhari orders EFCC, NIA, IGP to probe criminal conspiracy linked to Jonathan’s administration

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, National Intelligence Agency and the Nigerian Police to investigate the administration of ex-president Goodluck Jonathan over the contract which led to a judgement debt of $9.6billion (N3.5trillion). President Buhari ordered the agencies to probe the criminal conspiracy associated with the project. The federal government said the contractor, Process and Industrial Developments Ltd. (P&ID) did not execute the contract. These position and clarifications were made known at a joint briefing in Abuja by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alh. Lai Mohammed alongside the Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami(SAN), the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed and the Governor of the [Read]

[BREAKING] $16bn Power Projects: EFCC Begins Probe Of Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan Govts

In a fresh move to unmask the actors in the controversial $16billion power projects of the federal government, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has begun the investigation of the administrations of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, his immediate successor, the late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, and former President Goodluck Jonathan. NEWS FLAKES NG gathers that the three leaders and some of their officials are being probed over the role they played in the disbursement of the $16 billion on the power sector between 2006 and 2011 to various contractors. [READ ALSO] Alleged N9.9bn Graft: Ambode Knocks EFCC, Sends Strong Message to Buhari, Tinubu The probe of the “investment” in the electricity [Read]

There was corruption under Jonathan but life was better – Bakare

  The Pastor of the Latter Rain Assembly, Pastor Tunde Bakare has said that ‘education in shambles did not start with President Muhammadu Buhari, health care delivery in shambles did not start with Buhari, infrastructural deficit did not start with Buhari but that what many people are saying is that there was corruption under former President Goodluck Jonathan but life was better’. Bakare in this interview by Heritage Media in Calgary, Canada went on to defend President Buhari for not appointing  ministers for six months saying that it was ‘because there was no money to pay them.’ He said: ‘Development under President Buhari Buhari has been slow because as he [Read]

Oshiomhole, Akpabio Make surprise Appearance at GEJ’s book launch, As Obasanjo Arrives to a ‘Noisy’ welcome

  The National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshomhole, has made a surprise appearance at the venue of Goodluck Jonathan’s book presentation. He arrived at the same time with a former Akwa Ibom State Governor, Godswill Akpabio. Akpabio recently left Peoples Democratic Party for the APC.     Their arrival at the venue also disrupted events. Oshiomhole ensured that he took photographs with the National Chairman of PDP, Uche Secondus. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has arrived the venue of the book presentation earlier. He arrived the venue at about 1.54pm to a “noisy welcome.”   His arrival disrupted the event for about five minutes as he went [Read]