Xenophobia

Four Nigerians injured as South Africa resumes Xenophobic attacks again

  SOUTH AFRICA – NEWS FLAKES NG gathers that four Nigerians have reportedly sustained injuries in fresh xenophobic attacks in South Africa. PUNCH quoted Adetola Olubajo, president of the Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA), as confirming the attacks which took place at Witbank area of Mpumalanga province, on Tuesday. “The Department of Home Affairs, which is like our own Ministry of Interior that deals with immigration and citizens’ issues, is in the (South African) parliament briefing the parliament on migration today,” he was quoted to have said. “While that is going on, there is an attack on foreign nationals in Witbank area of Mpumalanga Province and there are some locations [Read]

Lagos govt gives N20,000 each to 2nd batch of 315 returnees from South Africa

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday gave a sum of N20,000 to each of the second batch of 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fresh batch of returnees arrived a week after another 187 Nigerians fleeing xenophobia came back from South Africa. The joyous returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 7.21p.m aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI. The flight, which originated from the OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg was received by Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and Air Peace Chairman, Mr Allen Onyema. Also on [Read]

Reps threaten Onyeama for refusing to honour invitation, invite Air Peace boss for commendation

ABUJA – The House of Representatives has accused the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, of refusing to honour the summons by the lawmakers to address them on the spate of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa. The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, in his remarks after a long debate on the attacks at the plenary on Tuesday, told that house that the information at his disposal has it that the minister failed to answer several invitations by the Chairman, House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Buba Yusuf. “It is unfortunate that in all those occasions, the minister has not responded to the Chairman’s invitations , ” he said . The speaker [Read]

Xenophobia: Ogun Citizens Top List of Nigerian Returnees [SEE FULL LIST HERE]

Ogun State has 30, the highest number, out of the 187 returnees evacuated from South Africa last week. Imo came second with 28 citizens. This came out from the profiling of the returnees, escaping from xenophobic attacks in South Africa. The profile showed that the first batch of the 187 returnees are from 16 states of the federation. Chairman of the Nigerian Diaspora Commission, (NIDCOM) Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this at a press conference in Abuja today. She appealed to state governments to support the returnees. Already, letters of appeal have been sent to the states to solicit for their interventions, Dabiri-Erewa said. Bank of Industry (BOI) and some telecommunication companies [Read]

Xenophobia: South Africa apologises to Nigeria

ABUJA – South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has apologised to the Federal Republic of Nigeria over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa. The apology was tendered to President Muhammadu Buhari in the State House, Abuja by the two special envoys the South African leader dispatched to Abuja on Monday. “We met a short while ago with President Muhammadu Buhari to convey our President Ramaphosa’s sincerest apologies about the incidents that have recently transpired in South Africa. “Those incidents do not represent what we stand for as constitutional democracy in South Africa and the President has apologized for these incidents and he has also instructed law enforcement agencies [Read]

South African President booed at Mugabe’s funeral over attacks on Nigerians, others

HARARE – The President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa, was booed on Saturday in Harare, the capital city of Zimbabwe, while delivering a speech at the funeral of Robert Mugabe, a former Zimbabwean President, who died at 95 penultimate Friday.  Following the jeers and whistling from the audience, which interrupted his speech, Ramaphosa apologised for the recent xenophobic attacks in his country. Nigerians and other foreigners in South Africa had come under a series of xenophobic attacks, about 12 people reportedly killed. Businesses belonging to foreigners were destroyed in and around Johannesburg, South Africa’s largest city. The incident had compelled the Nigerian government to evacuate 187 of its citizens, in [Read]

Xenophobia: 188 Nigeria Returnees Arrive Lagos Airport From South Africa

LAGOS – The Air Peace flight MEN2759 conveying 188 Nigerians from South Africa has arrived at the international wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos at 9:35 pm local time. The aircraft which departed the OR Tambo International Airport in South Africa, after an eight-hour delay, had on board, 188 Nigerians. The evacuation of Nigerians follows an order by President Muhammadu Buhari on September 9, 2019, to evacuate Nigerians who are willing to return home from South Africa, after several xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals, including Nigerians. The President gave this order after he received the report of the special envoy sent to South Africa to convey [Read]

[BREAKING] SPECIAL ENVOY REPORT: PMB orders immediate evacuation of Nigerians from S/Africa

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday received the report of the special envoy sent to South Africa on the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians. The President has consequently directed the next steps to take to stop the menace, according to a statement by Femi Adesina, his Special Adviser. The President has also given instruction for the immediate voluntary evacuation of all Nigerians who are willing to return home.” The statement added, “In the wake of the xenophobic attacks by South Africans against other Africans including Nigerians, President Muhammadu Buhari sent Amb. Ahmed Rufai Abubakar, Director-General, National Intelligence Agency (DGNIA) as his Special Envoy to South Africa, to convey a Special Message to [Read]

BREAKING: Heavily Armed South African Protesters Storm Streets, Ask Foreigners To Vacate Country [SEE VIDEO]

JOHANNESBURG – A fresh round of violence is currently building up in the streets of Johannesburg, South Africa, as armed protesters are out again, demanding that foreigners should return to where they came from. According to Sowetan Live, a South African newspaper, the protesters, who carried weapons such as knobkerries, are waiting to be addressed by Mangosuthu Buthelezi, a notable politician and Zulu tribe leader. This is coming one week after attacks on foreigners sparked reactions across the continent. Nigeria, Rwanda and Malawi had pulled out of the World Economic Forum which held in South Africa while Zambia cancelled an international friendly match with South Africa over the violence against [Read]

Xenophobia: Over 5,000 jobs lost to protest in Lagos —Sanwo-Olu

LAGOS – Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said that over 5,000 persons have lost their jobs to the protest against xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa. It may be recalled that Nigerians had staged anti-xenophobia protests across the nation, during which business outfits perceived to belong to South Africa were attacked. A Press release signed by Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, stated that Sanwo-Olu spoke on Saturday when he visited some of the shopping malls that were attacked in Ajah and Surulere. [READ ALSO] Xenophobia: Buhari, Ramaphosa Set For Peace Talks As Nigerians Remain Optimistic “These are jobs where Nigerians are the ones that have been affected. [Read]

Xenophobia: Buhari, Ramaphosa Set For Peace Talks As Nigerians Remain Optimistic

Nigerian Citizens Association in South Africa (NICASA), is optimistic that the meeting between Nigerian and South African Presidents in October, will bring lasting solutions to the recurrent xenophobia. The President of NICASA, Mr Ben Okoli, made this known in a telephone conversation with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) from Johannesburg, South Africa. Okoli said President Muhammadu Buhari and his South African counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa, were expected to meet in October to discuss modalities to address attacks on Nigerians living in that country. “We are looking forward to the state visit by President Buhari and we believe his coming will help reduce the suffering Nigerians go through in South Africa. [Read]

Xenophobia: Adeboye, Okonkwo caution against retaliation

GENERAL Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye and his counterpart from The Redeemed Evangelical Mission, TREM, Bishop Mike Okonkwo have passionately pleaded with Nigerians to exercise restraint in the face of provocative xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa and avoid the temptation to retaliate. Speaking at different fora, the two eminent Pentecostal clerics described the ugly development in South Africa as unfortunate but adviced that the lure of retaliation cannot provide an enduring solution to the crisis. “Attack on South African concerns in Nigeria in retaliation is not a godly alternative to the xenophobic attacks in South Africa,” they pleaded giving separate [Read]

Boycott South African businesses, Oshiomhole urges Nigerians

  • We’ve not recalled high commissioner, presidency clarifies • Fraudsters target Nigerians evacuating from South Africa The chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, yesterday urged the Federal Government and the citizens to take strong measures against telecommunications giant, MTN, and other firms owned by South Africans in Nigeria. He told reporters at the end of a closed-door meeting of the National Working Committee (NWC) in Abuja that Nigerians should boycott MTN for 30 days as a signal to South African authorities that they are fed up with xenophobic attacks. “Happily, we have indigenous networks like GLO, Airtel and 9mobile,” he said. “This occasion also offers [Read]

Xenophobia: 83 Nigerian Protesters Arraigned, As South Africa Blames Drug Dealers for Attacks

LAGOS – The Lagos State Police Command on Thursday arraigned 83 persons who allegedly participated in the attack and looting of South African-owned mall, Shoprite, in protest against continued xenophobic attacks and killings of Nigerians in South Africa. This is just as the South Africa’s Minister of International Relation and Cooperation, Dr Naledi Pandor, blamed drug dealers for xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and pleaded with the Federal Government of Nigeria to assist her country by preventing Nigerians dealing in narcotics from coming to South Africa. Pandor, who spoke with an interview with an online news platform, enca.com, on the sidelines of the ongoing World Economic Forum on Africa on Thursday, [Read]

Xenophobia: Nigeria Pulls Out Of Three-Day Economic Forum in South Africa

Nigeria has pulled out of the ongoing World Economic Forum in Cape Town, South Africa, over fresh xenophobic attacks. The country is also making plans to recall Kabiru Bala, its high commissioner to South Africa, according to a presidential source. The source said the decisions were taken at a meeting between President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo and Geoffrey Onyeama, minister of foreign affairs, at the presidential villa in Abuja, on Tuesday. [READ ALSO] Xenophobia: Air Peace to evacuate Nigerians from South Africa Osinbajo was to represent Nigeria at the three-day forum ending on Friday. In its initial response to the fresh attacks, the federal government had summoned Bobby Monroe, South [Read]